Listings of entries, and some points of interest and some mysteries to be cleared up.
- This blog takes a fresh look at places and their history, in Sydney and further afield.
- Themes of particular interest include: human interaction with the natural environment; the dynamics of societies in transition; and climate in historical perspective. The Blue Mountains (NSW) and surrounding areas are a special focus of attention.
- A full listing of entries will be found under Notes > Notes and Queries.
- The Colonnade, Bridge Street: a chronology
- William Jones, printer
- The European crossing of the Blue Mountains: some bibliography
- Can a thief be trusted to record the temperature?
- George Edwards Peacock: lawyer, convict, meteorological observer, artist
- Hopefulness amid the burning sands of Libya
- D’Arcy Wentworth, 1762-1827
- St. Patrick’s Day, 1827
- Some European views of Japan in the nineteenth century
- Japan, 15 June 1896: earthquakes and a tidal wave
- Earthquakes in Japan: some nineteenth-century reports
- A wind as from the mouth of a furnace
- Rain at Hunter’s River and not a blade of grass at Bathurst
- Showers have revived our hopes
- An era of drought
- Ron Madden on Rain at Hunter’s River and not a blade of grass at Bathurst
- unhurriedtraveller on William Jones, printer
- Christine Macdonald on William Jones, printer
- unhurriedtraveller on Historical societies in the Blue Mountains
- Joan Edwards on Historical societies in the Blue Mountains
- unhurriedtraveller on Links
- Silas on Links
Tags (cloud currently limited to 45 tags)Agriculture Australian Aborigines Australian Agricultural Company Bathurst Bathurst Plains Blue Mountains Christmas Climate Colonade Cox's River Drought Elizabeth Hawkins Emu Island Emu Plains Floods George William Evans Gregory Blaxland Hawkesbury River John Dunmore Lang John Jamison Lachlan Macquarie Land use Macquarie River Nepean River Newcastle Newspapers Parramatta Port Stephens Queanbeyan Queen Victoria Building Railways Rain Ralph Mansfield Riverina Robert Townson Springwood Sydney Sydney streets Thomas Fitzherbert Hawkins Transportation Weather William Charles Wentworth William Cox William Lawson Windsor
July 2017 M T W T F S S « Sep 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31